After Completion of Endodontic Treatment
Home Care Instructions
Your tooth and surrounding gum tissue may be slightly tender for several days as a result of manipulation during treatment and previous condition of your tooth. This tenderness is normal and is no cause for alarm. Do not chew food on the affected side until your endodontic therapy is completed and your tooth is covered with a protective restoration provided by your restorative dentist. You may continue your regular dental hygiene regimen. Discomfort may be alleviated by taking ibuprofen (Advil), aspirin, or acetaminophen (Tylenol) as directed.
NOTE: Alcohol intake is not advised while taking any of these medications. Should you experience discomfort that cannot be controlled with the above listed medications, or should swelling develop, please contact this office immediately.
Should you need to call after hours for any questions or concerns about your endodontic treatment we do have an emergency telephone service available. Please have your pharmacy number available.
If you have any questions, please call our office
Home Care Instructions After Completion of Endodontic (Root Canal) Treatment
For the first few days after the treatment, you may experience discomfort or minor swelling, especially if there was pain or infection prior to the procedure or as a result of manipulation during treatment and previous condition of your tooth. This tenderness is normal and is no cause for alarm. This can usually be relieved by over-the-counter medication such as Advil (Ibuprofen) or Extra Strength Tylenol (Acetaminophen). Sometimes we may prescribe a stronger pain medication, or antibiotic.
Your tooth may continue to feel different from your other teeth for some time.
Your tooth is more prone to fracture immediately after endodontic treatment. You may eat and drink right away, however you should not chew on the affected area until your restorative dentist has placed a protective restoration on the treated tooth (permanent filling or a crown).
YOU MUST CALL YOUR GENERAL DENTIST AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO HAVE THE TREATED TOOTH RESTORED!
You may brush and floss the treated area normally, unless we have advised you otherwise.
Questions?Please call our Toronto office at Toronto Office Phone Number 416.483.8800, or our Scarborough office at Scarborough Office Phone Number 416.269.7036 with any questions or to schedule a consultation.
Home Care Instructions After Completion of Endodontic Surgery
- Apply an ice bag or cold compress to the outside of the face over the operated area for 10 minutes and then remove for 10 minutes. Continue the application for the first 4-6 hours.
- It is possible that swelling, minor pain, and skin discolouration may be experienced.
- Eat only soft foods and increase intake of fluids for the first two days.
- Use caution if raising the lip to examine or clean the surgical site.
- Do not brush teeth in the surgical area, however continue to brush teeth in the rest of the mouth. Clean the stitches by gently wiping them with a moist cotton swab (Q-Tip)
- For the first day, when sleeping, try to keep head slightly elevated.
- You will be required to return to our office for the removal of the sutures as directed.